Here, we round up our most anticipated events for the 2018 edition of Salone del Mobile – from must-see installations and product releases, to the best events, stands and activated showrooms to visit or follow from afar during the week.
RHO FIERA FAIRGROUNDS
This year, we’re thrilled to see many of our brand partners exhibiting at the Rho Fiera Fairgrounds. We always make a run to beat the crowds and visit our Italian brands on the first day, and this year look forward to seeing what Poltrona Frau, Zanotta, Cappellini and Magis present. We’re particularly excited to see the Magis stand by Note Design Studio, which will set an elegant backdrop for a wide range of product news with elegant archways and pleated forms in a tonal gradient palette. Following last year’s inspiring Fritz Hotel installation in Brera, 2018 sees Fritz Hansen return to the Rho Fiera Fairgrounds to release its latest design – a new chair by Japanese designer Oki Sato of nendo. In addition, Carl Hansen & Son returns to the fair with a retreat-themed stand to present a host of new and re-released products from Bodil Kjær, Arne Jacobsen, Børge Mogensen and more. We’ll also be visiting Erik Jorgensen, Extremis, Mater, Montana, Nanimarquina and Softline, and can’t wait to share more with you live from the fair.
One of our favourite parts of Salone del Mobile is wandering the various districts throughout the city activated during Milan Design Week; exploring installations, exhibitions and takeovers by some of the world’s leading and emerging creatives. To make sure we see as much as possible, each year we prepare a Fuorisalone Interactive Map which covers the key districts, installations, showrooms, city highlights and places to eat and drink. If you are heading to Milan this year, request access to this map here. Here, we pick out our top ten most anticipated Fuorisalone highlights for 2018...
1. HAY at Palazzo Clerici | HAY will take over the grand Palazzo Clerici to showcase an entire universe exploring the best in design, sound, living and work with many new products shown for the first time. An edited collection of products selected by Mette Hay will be sold at the exhibition pop-up shop allowing visitors the opportunity to purchase newly launched HAY accessories and HAY Kitchen Market products. The exhibition also includes an Emerging Talent graduate exhibition hosted by Atelier Clerici.
2. GUBI at Palazzo Serbelloni | Danish luxury brand Gubi will take over a breath-taking old palace in the Porta Monforte district to showcase its latest news in dedicated residential, hospitality, contract, hotel and trendsetter settings.
3. Karakter at Palazzo Litta | Karakter joins forces with the infamous Damn Magazine/Mosca Partners installation at Palazzo Litta, one of the largest Fuorisalone events. One of many exhibitors in this unique space, Karakter will launch new products by Bodil Kjaer, Aldo Bakker, Nick Ross, Axel Bruel and Paul McCobb.
4. LOCAL DESIGN NO.3 | The third edition of LOCAL MILAN presented by LOCAL DESIGN will take place during this year's Milan Design Week. LOCAL MILAN features 26 Australian designers and is the largest independent showcase of Australian design in Milan to date. Pioneering the way forward for Australian design, Emma Elizabeth, founder of LOCAL DESIGN, has single-handedly curated and promoted this exhibition. Designs from Cult's Australian brand nau will be on show in limited edition finishes, including the Sia chair by Tom Fereday, along with the Rev stool and Strand chair by Adam Cornish.
5. SUPERLOFT by Giulio Cappellini | To celebrate his 40th year involved with Salone del Mobile, the godfather of design Giulio Cappellini presents a personal project titled SUPERLOFT. A home that’s both imaginative and real, where Cappellini mixes and matches iconic contemporary design objects, SUPERLOFT is an imaginary yet real home, cool and eclectic, cultured and elegant with day areas dedicated to wellness, through to kitchen, bedroom and bathroom spaces. An environment created for “a cosmopolitan individual who loves design, art, technology, and craftsmanship, with the merging of other cultures to personalise their own home” says Cappellini.
6. Fritz Hansen Showroom Installation by nendo | Visit the Fritz Hansen showroom in Milan's charming artist quarter Brera, to discover a must-see installation showcasing Fritz Hansen's new chair designed by nendo's Oki Sato.
7. Chess Installation by Konstantin Grcic & Linnut Installation both by Magis | At this year's Salone del Mobile, Magis will present two different installations in the city. At Via Gaspare Rosales 5, Installation Chess curated by one of the world's leading designers Konstanin Grcic is a must visit. Then over at the Magis showroom in Brera, Magis also presents Linnut (translating to birds), an installation in collaboration with Ittala and Oiva Toikka.
8. 100x100 at Studio Museum Castiglioni | 2018 marks the 100th anniversary of Castiglioni's birth and the celebrations start with 100x100 Achille, an exhibition that is as playful and design-saturated as he would have loved. This is not simply a display of objects, but the result of a long-term activity carried on by Giovanna and Carlo Castiglioni—who run the foundation dedicated to their father—and curated by Chiara Alessi and Domitilla Dardi. They asked 100 international designers to send Castiglioni a birthday gift. The only rule of this game was that the gifts had to be anonymous, cheap, compact and accompanied by a greeting card.
9. MINDCRAFT | An annual exhibition concept showcasing some of Denmark's most talented craftspeople and designers, the 2018 edition of Mindcraft returns to the charming courtyard of Basilica di San Simpliciano and is curated by designer Ditte Hammerstrom - who has selected 15 rising talents to create large scale installations, each working with a different material.
10. Objets Nomades by Louis Vuitton | Returning to the palatial Palazzo Bocconi, Louis Vuitton presents its annual Objets Nomades collection of travel-inspired objects – expanding the collecting with ten new objects including a new collaboration with Hong Kong-based designer André Fu and a patchwork leather vase by Fernando & Humberto Campana.
11. Wallpaper Handmade | Wallpaper’s annual salute to craft and creativity, Wallpaper * Handmade, returns this year to explore the concept ‘Wellness & Wonder'. Bringing together the best designers, artists, and manufacturers to make one-off wonders, the exhibition is always a highlight at Salone del Mobile.
12. Caeserstone X Snarkitecture | Following hit installation with Jaime Hayon last year, we can't wait to see what Caeserstone presents at Salone del Mobile 2018. Collaborating with New York based practice Snarkitecture to present conceptual takes on the kitchen island, Caeserstone's immersive installation can be found at Palazzo dell'Ufficio Elettorale.
Danish luxury brand Gubi will take over a breathtaking old palace in the Porta Monforte district.
The palatial interior inside Palazzo Serbelloni where Gubi will showcase its latest news in dedicated residential, hospitality, contract, hotel and trendsetter settings.
To celebrate Achille Castiglioni's 100th anniversary, 100 international designers were invited to submit a birthday gift and card. The playful 100x100 Achille exhibition showcases the unique and varied objects received.
On a wall next to the objects are the 100 greeting cards, all made by hand on a card provided by the foundation. They range from simple birthday wishes, to elaborate illustrations, questions, confessions and declarations of love.
To celebrate his 40th year involved with Salone del Mobile, the godfather of design Giulio Cappellini presents a personal project titled SUPERLOFT in Zona Tortona.
Karakter joins forces with the infamous Damn Magazine/Mosca Partners installation at Palazzo Litta, one of the largest Fuorisalone events.
The third edition of LOCAL MILAN presented by LOCAL DESIGN will feature 26 Australian designers and is the largest independent showcase of Australian design in Milan to date.
Caeserstone and Snarkitecture collaborate to present an immersive installation at Palazzo dell'Ufficio Elettorale.
A look inside Palazzo Clerici - the grand estate where HAY will takeover for one week with an installation, mini market pop up and emerging designer exhibition.
A preview of what to expect at the Mindcraft 2018 exhibition - LMA chair by Pettersen & Hein.
A teaser of Wallpaper * Handmade; an annual exhibition that brings together the best designers, artists, and manufacturers to make one-off wonders.