CULT EDIT. 15 Timeless Outdoor Furniture Designs
The days are growing longer and we're starting to think about long Summer afternoons in the sunshine. Our expansive outdoor collection features a wide array of stylish, weatherproof furniture and lighting for any spot of sun, from a small apartment balcony to a sun-kissed patio and beyond, so you can enjoy fresh air in comfort all year round.
We asked the design-savvy Cult team to share their favourite all-weather finds and the best ways to style them. Read on for our top picks!
1. Riviera Sunbed.
"The clever simplicity of the Riviera Sunbed, folding out from coffee table to bench to sunbed - it's so much more than meets the eye!"
- Jeff Tsang, General Manager
2. Zanotta 'Elipse 2052 Chair' by Patrick Jouin.
"A quirky and interesting design which can translate seamlessly inside and outside."
- Denise Diago, Customer Service Administrator (Sydney)
3. Mater 'Ocean Chair' by Nanna Ditzel.
"This is one of my favourite outdoor pieces because it is made from recycled fishing nets and recycled hard plastic. One Ocean Chair uses 960g of ocean plastic waste, and it looks great!'"
- Jemma Cromie, Sales Consultant (Sydney)
4. HAY 'Terrazzo Table' by Daniel Enoksson.
"They present as great value, in a nice neutral yet modern palette and have both a round & square top option.The base is clearly a feature but also a great anchor for the tables, making them suitable to stand tough against high velocity wind. They also pair up nicely with all the HAY outdoor chairs."
- Christopher Pooré, Business Development Manager (Western Australia)
5. GUBI 'Obello Portable Lamp' by Bill Curry.
"Portable lights are so handy for creating atmosphere when long lunches carry into the evening. Obello's mushroom-like space-age design is timeless and works well with all kinds of styles. I like that it's made from frosted glass, with a complete charge in four and a half hours, providing up to 40 hours of light."
- Rosie Schloeffel-Light, Marketing & Communications
6. Nau 'Terrace Dining Chair' by Adam Cornish.
"My favourite outdoor piece is the Terrace Dining Chair. The unique idea to curve the wire seat and back into the body makes it both visually striking and the most comfortable wire chair I’ve ever sat on."
- Jason O’Neill, Nau Product Development Lead (Sydney)
7. Pelagus Lounge Chair.
"Perfectly at home in a lush green garden or sitting poolside, the Pelagus lounge chair is the ideal companion to any outdoor environment. I particularly appreciate the relaxed sling design, a testament to its contemporary Danish craftsmanship."
- Ben Downey, Marketing Executive
8. Zanotta 'April Folding Chair' by Gae Aulenti.
"She's director yacht chic - not many people know this is built for outdoor use and I just love her."
- Samuel Michael, Commercial Project Consultant (Sydney)
9. HAY 'Palissade Lounge Chair Low' by Ronan & Erwan Bouroullec.
"I love pairing the Palissade Lounge Chair Low with the Palissade Ottoman - it's perfect for small spaces and the ottoman doubles as a side table for drinks and snacks, or extra seating when I have friends over."
- Isabel Moultrie, Customer Operations Administrator (E-Commerce)
10. Cappellini 'Thinking Man's Chair' by Jasper Morrison.
11. Between Lines Deck Chair.
"A classic Adirondack-style deck chair with a simple, Scandinavian look. I can picture long summer days sitting on it and reading a good book in my garden. I'd add the striped lemon cushion for extra colour and comfort."
- Richard Munao, Founder and CEO
"The Riviera Lounge is my favourite - it's such a versatile piece. A very well thought-out design that gives multiple furniture in one. Have it flat-folded for a classic daybed, slide up one side to achieve a more playful expression or have both sides up and you'll get a lounge that seats yourself and your guests."
- Amalie Gram Andersen, Marketing Coordinator
13. Nau 'Banksia Oil Burner' by Zachary Hanna.
"I love it for its warm glow and because it’s the perfect centre piece for cozy winter nights while entertaining friends and family."
- Chiara Lodovici, Nau Product Development (Sydney)